Founded over two centuries ago in 1779, Bowmore is the first recorded distillery on Islay (pronounced ‘eye-la’) and one of the oldest in the whole of Scotland. Islay malts are renowned for their peaty smokiness and Bowmore Darkest is no exception. We carefully smoke our malt in a peat-fired kiln, just as our ancestors did over 200 years ago.
- Matured in an inspired combination of both bourbon and sherry casks.
- It’s the final three years spent in Oloroso sherry casks that gives it the rich, deep colour reflected in its name.
- Delicious dark chocolate, sun-dried fruits and a tell-tale wisp of Islay smoke with wonderful cedar wood and rich treacle toffee.
- 2015 Gold Medal Winner – International Wine & Spirits Competition
- IWSC Awards Tasting Note: As gloriously intense as the name implies, with leather and spice doing battle for your attention on the nose, all prevented from overdoing it by the elegant sweetness.